Foods You Can’t Feed Your Dog

Foods You Can’t Feed Your Dog

 

 

While it is common for people to want to treat dogs as if they are human by giving them delicious people food as treats, these types of ‘human food’ may be harmful, and even poisonous, to dogs. Other times, owners cannot bear to see those sad puppy dog eyes staring back at them as they try to eat. Even if dogs beg for a taste of what you are having, learn to say no.

Many of the things that humans consume are actually toxic to dogs, causing sickness and even death. When taking proper care of a dog, owners should know exactly which foods cannot be given to their canine companions. Below you will find a list of ten foods you can’t feed your dog.

 1.Avocado

1

Avocados contain a toxic ingredient known as persin in their leaves, fruit, seeds, and even bark, acting like poison to most animals including dogs, cats, rabbits, and birds. Digesting persin can lead to respiratory distress, congestion, inflammation of the mammary glands, fluid accumulation around the heart and even death.

In some dogs and cats, just a small amount of avocado flesh or peeling can cause massive vomiting and diarrhea. If you suspect that your dog has accidentally ingested avocados, you should take him to a veterinary clinic right away for treatment. If there are avocados, or food containing avocados in the home, please keep them out of reach.

2.Grapes, Raisins and Currants

2

While these food are very nutritious for people, they are quite toxic to dogs. Grapes, raisins and currants contain an unknown toxin which can lead to hyperactivity, repeated vomiting, and lethargy within twelve hours of ingestion. Dogs that have accidentally ingested grapes can exhibit depression, lack of appetite or kidney failure within three to four days.

 

In order to keep these fruit from your dog’s diet, store products such as fruit salads, cereals, raisin cookies and other foods which contain grapes or currants out of reach. Additionally, fruits containing pits, such as peaches and plums, should not be fed to your dog, as these pits can become lodged in your dog’s throat and cause injury or death.

 

 3.Onions and Garlic

3

All close members of the onion family, including onions, garlic, and scallions, contain sulfoxides and disulfides, both of which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia in dogs. The rule to remember regarding foods is “the stronger it is, the more toxic it is”.

 

A small dose is not likely to injure your pet, but eating large amounts of onions and related foods on a regular basis can cause poisoning. Dogs may experience symptoms such as weakness, vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea and lethargy. Owners should pay close attention and not give dogs any foods containing onions or garlic.

 

If you think that your dog may have ingested onions or other pungent food, check the dog’s urine. If it is orange to dark red in color, your dog should be examined by a veterinarian immediately. In worst case scenarios, treatment will include blood transfusions.

 

 

 4.Macadamia Nuts

4

Macadamia nuts contain an unknown toxin which can affect the digestive, nervous and muscular systems in dogs. Just six raw or roasted Macadamia nuts are enough to make your dog become very ill, including such symptoms as vomiting, tremors, weakness and depression.

 

These symptoms should gradually subside over a period of 48 hours, but if your dog’s condition worsens, you could see such symptoms as paralysis of the hindquarters and hyperthermia, meaning your dog needs immediate veterinary care.

 

A dog should never ingest Macadamia nuts, or any foods containing Macadamia nuts, because they can be quite fatal for your dog. Owners should keep Macadamia nuts out of reach, making sure the jar is kept tightly closed at all times.

 

5.Yeast dough

5

Before you can begin baking bread, the dough needs to rise. This can require bread to sit unattended for up to an hour or more. However, if your dog manages to eat the yeast dough, it can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and a possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.

 

Symptoms of yeast dough poisoning can include vomiting, abdominal discomfort and painful bloating. Additionally, when yeast dough rises, it produces alcohol that can also lead to poisoning. In extreme cases, a coma or seizures may occur or your dog could die from alcohol intoxication. Dogs that cannot stand up on their own should be monitored by a veterinarian until they have fully recovered.

 

6.Salt

6

Owners who consume large quantities of salt are at risk of getting hypertension, also known as high blood pressure. Dogs that consume too much salt can suffer from hypertension as well. This is a life threatening health issue that must be monitored because too much salt can cause heart problems, electrolyte imbalances, dehydration and possibly diarrhea.

 

Symptoms of high salt intake can include vomiting, depression, tremors, high temperatures, seizures and chest pains. Excessive salt digestion can also cause kidney problems or even death. Dog owners should not share salty foods such as chips or pretzels with their dogs.

 

7.Caffeine – Chocolate, Coffee, Tea, Etc

7

Food and drinks containing caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, can cause vomiting and diarrhea, and are quite toxic to the heart and nervous system of your dog. Caffeine levels will vary, depending on the type and amount of chocolate ingested. A four to ten ounce serving of milk chocolate could potentially be a letha dose for smaller dogs.

 

Dog owners should remember this rule of thumb with chocolate: “the darker it is, the more dangerous it is.” Ideally, all types of chocolate should be kept out of your dog’s reach for proper safety. Caffeine is harmful to animals due to the methylxanthines it contains, which can be found in coffee, tea, colas and energy drinks. Owners should never allow dogs to drink coffee or tea, as this is very dangerous for their nervous systems and heart.

 

8.Raw Eggs and Row Meat or Fish

8

Raw eggs can lead to food poisoning due to the presence of such harmful bacterias as Salmonella or Escherichia coli. Raw eggs also contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin. This can cause skin issues as well as problems with your dog’s coat, if he has been feed raw eggs for a long time.

 

Just like raw eggs, raw meat and fish also contain bacteria that can cause vomiting and diarrhea, fever and enlarged or swollen lymph nodes. Owners should avoid sharing any uncooked beef, poultry, fish or eggs with their dogs, and keep any items being defrosting for dinner well out of reach.

 

 9.Milk and Dairy Products

9

Puppies drink milk from their mothers after they are born, but they should not drink other animal’s milk. Cow’s milk and other dairy products, such as ice cream, can lead to digestive issues including upset stomach, diarrhea and food allergies. Because they are not equipped with systems that inherently carry enough lactase, dogs can also suffer from being lactose intolerant. Avoid feeding your dog ice cream, cheese or other dairy products for optimal health.

 

 

 10.Alcohol

10

If you want to see what will happen if your dog consumess beer, do not attempt this experiment because, while it may sound amusing, it is actually very dangerous. There is nothing funny about hurting your dog, and the alcohol could have a dangerous effect on his liver and brain. Just a little alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous depression, problems with coordination, difficulty breathing, coma, seizures and even death. If your dog has consumed alcohol accidentally and cannot stand up, he needs to see the veterinarian immediately for emergency medical treatment.

 

 

 

 

People should know that it is best to avoid feeding dogs any human foods such as table scraps, especially the food items listed above. Owners should be responsible for feeding dogs correctly, and maintaining the right amounts of food supplies. Most dogs enjoy thoroughly cooked, lean meats and some vegetables, such as carrots and green beans. You can also feed certain fruits, such as oranges and watermelon, and cooked white rice or pasta to your dog. If you are unsure, always call the veterinarian for advice.

 

There are many foods that are normal for human consumption, but are really bad for dogs to eat. Allowing your beloved dog to have foods that will make him sick is quite cruel because your pet will suffer, and this is very irresponsible and expensive. Tell your dog no when he begs for things he should not eat, or you could both pay dearly for the mistake.

Authored by: DogLoveIt

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>